Quinta do Montinho, an Estate with an eighteenth century Manor, belongs to a Minho’s family with deep agriculture roots since the establishment of Cluny monks in thirteenth century. The Spanish rule (1560-1640) archives and the parish’s books allowed to trace back the first reference of this family as agricultural landowners in 1621.
The manor house is built in baroque architecture, in granite stone of the region. The main building has a first floor with the family rooms, which in the north give access to a green leisure area with fantastic views. To the south we have the estate entrance, a central courtyard with a chapel and a small nucleus with old agricultural instruments. Access to the building is made through the impressive granite staircase. On the ground floor we have the spaces reserved for the traditional winery/cellar. In the adjacent buildings are the traditional lagar (winepress) and the old distillery, whose existence has a historical and touristic importance. In a contiguous area there is the typical granary, the stables, the barn and an old threshing floor.
In the 19th century the manor house served as a refuge for a historical figure of the liberal movement, Marechal Saldanha, a Portuguese Army officer, diplomat and one of the dominant politicians of the 19th century in Portugal, with a political career that began in the Portuguese Civil War (1828-1834) and only ended with his death in 1876. His long political career, and the important positions he held, made him the most important statesman of the Portuguese constitutional monarchy period, substantially influencing the course of political events in Portugal over half a century.